Welcome former members of PF

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Welcome former members of PF

Post by baden511 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:17 pm

Yahadreas wrote:Not just sign ups but sign ins, too.

Ah...We should probably give a warning about that. (And then have people accuse us of being hysterical.)

-------------

Oh, andrewk has done it. Thanks, Andrew.

Last edited by baden511 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ---)
baden511

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jamalrob on Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:56 pm

Just posted this. Looking for input.

http://philosophyforum.forumotion.info/t8-software-and-hosting-options-for-pf2

Oh and welcome Andrew, great to have you on board.
jamalrob
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moliere on Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:29 pm

It does seem to be taking quite some time for the new owner to correspond. :/

Ah well. I'm still in "wait and see" mode. But I've been persuaded to go ahead and ride the fence and keep tabs on where we may have to migrate to. It's the community that keeps a forum going, after all.

Moliere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by StreetlightX on Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:55 pm

Honestly, so long as your current password on PF is not similar to another used elsewhere, there's not a great deal of info that can be garnered - unless perhaps you've posted a whole bunch of personal information, in which case you've made it public to begin with anyway. And no one ain't paying for the musings of some dudes and dudettes on the internet. Paul said no payment info is stored on site, and I have faith in at least that much. It's probably good practice to change your paypal or internet banking password every six or so months anyway, so if you've not done so, now's a great opportunity.

My biggest concern is simply the forum falling into disrepair from lack of technical intervention. Bugs, anti-hack cleanups and the like.

StreetlightX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by busycuttingcrap on Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:07 pm

andrewk wrote:Hello, hello, hello everybody. I hope PF is not dying, but I signed up here just in case.
My thoughts exactly. Not at all a bad idea to have a designated meeting spot in case things at PF go sideways. Hello all, btw.

busycuttingcrap

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Earendil on Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:42 pm

Hi all, someone has already taken up "Mariner", but perhaps a name 10 years old is ready to go into the trashcan anyway. Glad to see the wild bunch here Very Happy.
Earendil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Landru Guide Us on Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:59 pm

Hello, young people. Thought I'd stop by. The question is, is the Landru Guide Us here the same as the one at PF? I have no answer
Landru Guide Us

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by andrewk on Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:04 pm

Landru Guide Us wrote:The question is, is the Landru Guide Us here the same as the one at PF?  I have no answer
The question is, what do you mean by 'is the same'?

Ha Ha. I just wrote something philosophical.

andrewk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Agustino on Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:23 pm

Hi guys! Thanks for providing this forum Jamalrob, and looking forward to continue our philosophical discussions with everyone around! Smile I don't know if there's much I can do to help (apart from donations if this forum will need them), as I don't have much website hosting/development expertise! But really glad we have an alternative place where we can keep the community going in case PF becomes to0 different from the way we all knew it!

Agustino

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Landru Guide Us on Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:30 pm

andrewk wrote:
Landru Guide Us wrote:The question is, is the Landru Guide Us here the same as the one at PF?  I have no answer
The question is, what do you mean by 'is the same'?

Ha Ha. I just wrote something philosophical.

See, it's already begun!
Landru Guide Us

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Monitor on Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:03 am

I guess this is the right spot.

Hello to whomever is here, however temporarily.
I have been following the PF for three or four years but was unable to join because my address was apparently suspicious. I wrote to the admins but I guess it was never received. It has been a very interesting and educational experience to follow this group and not write a single word. Due to the sale of the PF I’m able to join here but now it seems you are moving on again. I’ll see what happens.

Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir2u on Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:49 am

Has anyone else had the thought that maybe seeing us all getting ready to run for the hills is influencing the new owners appearance.
If he bought the site think that all of its members would just sit there waiting for him to take over and do whatever he wanted it might have come as a surprise to him what is happening.
Sir2u

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Landru Guide Us on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:40 am

Sir2u wrote:Has anyone else had the thought that maybe seeing us all getting ready to run for the hills is influencing the new owners appearance.
If he bought the site think that all of its members would just sit there waiting for him to take over and do whatever he wanted it might have come as a surprise to him what is happening.

The new owner's conduct doesn't accord with somebody who wants to run the forum as it has existed up to now.  It takes no effort to post a message stating his intentions to do so, more or less.  So he must have some other intentions and they probably involve monetizing some aspect of the site.

Though for the life of me, I can't imagine the economic value of PF.  Maybe he knows something about the data of the 50K or so members (most of them quiescent) which makes it more valuable than dozens of political forums on the web of similar size.
Landru Guide Us

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by unenlightened on Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:50 am

Although he hasn't talked to us, the new owner has done two things that make me hopeful.
1. He has actually paid for the site, and a sum which I suspect is more than our data is worth.
2. He has fixed the broken email system, which I asked him to do.

So I am cautiously hopeful that he will want to stick some banner ads up, which Paul tells me might generate about $350 a month, and then leave us to get on with our philosophy. An absentee landlord is not the worst thing in the world, especially if he isn't charging us any rent.

unenlightened

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Wayfarer on Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:42 am

I spent a bit of time googling Eric Marshall Porat. From what I can see, he hasn't been convicted of any cyber-crime. There was a case in 2010 where he was accused of trying to sell a large data set that had been hacked from a digital marketing company called Digital River (story here http://www.startribune.com/digital-river-sues-over-data-breach-traced-to-india/95584209/) . But none of the public sources I saw indicate the case went to trial or anyone was convicted. Also it wasn't clear that he stole the data - he might have been trying to broker a sale.  He was then 19 yo living at home according to the publicity. I also found an Amazon review under that name, of a vitamin supplement that is 'fantastic for work-outs'. The impression I get is not a cybercriminal. This 'vayge media'  is little more than a domain name with some weak digital products associated with it. My guess is that he's trying to be a web entreprenuer, and is trying to put enough content together to generate some kind of traffic and/or profile. But at the end of the day philosophy forums are a really lousy business proposition, and I think if someone was going to pay money for one, then I would have to question their acumen or their motives. And I can't see how valuable the ID information is, there is no credit card info on the site, or anything particularly personal.

~Wayfarer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jamalrob on Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:20 am

~Wayfarer wrote:I spent a bit of time googling Eric Marshall Porat. From what I can see, he hasn't been convicted of any cyber-crime. There was a case in 2010 where he was accused of trying to sell a large data set that had been hacked from a digital marketing company called Digital River (story here http://www.startribune.com/digital-river-sues-over-data-breach-traced-to-india/95584209/) . But none of the public sources I saw indicate the case went to trial or anyone was convicted. Also it wasn't clear that he stole the data - he might have been trying to broker a sale.  He was then 19 yo living at home according to the publicity. I also found an Amazon review under that name, of a vitamin supplement that is 'fantastic for work-outs'. The impression I get is not a cybercriminal. This 'vayge media'  is little more than a domain name with some weak digital products associated with it. My guess is that he's trying to be a web entreprenuer, and is trying to put enough content together to generate some kind of traffic and/or profile. But at the end of the day philosophy forums are a really lousy business proposition, and I think if someone was going to pay money for one, then I would have to question their acumen or their motives. And I can't see how valuable the ID information is, there is no credit card info on the site, or anything particularly personal.
This is the best analysis I've seen so far. Not so bad as it could have been, but not great.
jamalrob
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jamalrob on Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:54 am

In case anyone missed it, I made an announcement about the new forum I set up:

http://philosophyforum.forumotion.info/t10-thephilosophyforum-com
jamalrob
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by baden511 on Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:03 pm

He could be anything from completely innocent to fairly sinister. Nothing's certain except that he's behaving oddly by remaining quiet. Anyway, as long as posters know the facts and the security warnings are up, I feel like we've done our bit for now. Posters can make an informed choice about what they want to do. From my point of view, even if he is just an amateur marketer, he's likely to denude the site of that special intellectual character that has always made it great. Philosophy and business don't mix. So, I'm off to jamalrob's latest and finest new PF. See you there...
baden511

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by baden511 on Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:15 pm

Still sticking around to help at old PF too though. Can't leave it all to Un.
baden511

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moliere on Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:47 pm

unenlightened wrote:Although he hasn't talked to us, the new owner has done two things that make me hopeful.
1. He has actually paid for the site, and a sum which I suspect is more than our data is worth.
2. He has fixed the broken email system, which I asked him to do.

So I am cautiously hopeful that he will want to stick some banner ads up, which Paul tells me might generate about $350 a month, and then leave us to get on with our philosophy. An absentee landlord is not the worst thing in the world, especially if he isn't charging us any rent.

That's good to know. I'd prefer to keep the old forum, if possible. No offense, or anything -- but you spend enough time in a place and become fond of it just by virtue of having spent time there. Smile

Moliere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by I-FLUX on Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:44 pm

Hi guys,

I joined the forum just in case.

I've been on the PF for exactly 6 years. It's a bit shame that things aren't going exactly perfect, but I hope that everything will go back to being fine. As far as I can see about the situation, I am not that pessimistic about the new owner thing.

I-FLUX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top